Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Exodus...



There is a part in the beginning of the book of Exodus in which Moses hears from God through a burning bush.

Crazy.

Then God commissions him to go to Egypt and find all the elders of the Israelite nation.

Crazy difficult.

Then he has to convince them that "I AM" sent him and he is going to lead them out of slavery.

Crazy impossible.

All the while he has a wife whom he has to explain all of this to. Then convince to come along on the journey. Then complete this insanely, impossible, mission exacted by "I AM".

Crazy faith.


That brings us to where Isaac and I find ourselves. In between the land of crazy and impossible. We are at the threshold of our exodus.

We are sick of the hamster wheel demanding life for pay. And if we had a acre for every time someone told us "welcome to the working world"..this would be a blog about gardening instead of a family seeking to garden!


For the first two glorious years of our marriage we were almost constantly together. Our proximity to each other was never interrupted by longer than 2-3 hours. It was paradise. It was, what we felt, marriage should be, for us. We didn't understand the idea of marrying your best friend, separating for 8-10 hrs. a day, for the better part of your lives, then returning to each other at the end of 50 years just to watch each other fade. 

++Now I must post here that I recognize that this works for many people. More importantly, God has called many to live this out. I am not denigrating that lifestyle. I am saying that this does not seem to be the path that my spouse and I are called to tread.

We feel like the first step is complete. Moving to our land of milk and honey-Iowa.


I am, by no means, comparing the geographies of Iowa to that of the desert. But I am most certainly claiming the hope to find freedom here.


We are embarking upon the beginning of our journey....

Phase 1: Dream
Phase 2: Prepare for that dream to become
         reality
Phase 3: Leap off of the hamster wheel, run
         with intensity toward the dream

Where we find ourselves is making our way through phase one...but we are anxiously awaiting the day we get to become hamsters on the run....





No comments:

Post a Comment